Tuesday, April 27, 2010

ALMA 5 PSALM

ALMA 5 PSALM (For Virtue 3)

I remember their captivity –
Destruction was dispelled –
His mercy and long-suffering
Delivered them from hell.
The bands of death were broken – Yes –
The chains of hate were loosed –
Their souls expanded, and they sang
Redeeming love and truth.

On what conditions were they saved?
What grounds had they to hope?
What is the cause of broken bands?
What burst the chains? Who spoke?
The prophets spoke the words of God –
A mighty change was wrought –
And their Redemptive song of love
By Jesus Christ was bought.

Is my spirit born of God?
Is His image in my face?
Is my countenance engraved
With the light of mighty change?
My Maker will redeem me –
He paid the dowry fee –
My eye of faith can see Him –
His suffering on the Tree.

The price of incorruption
And immortality –
I’ll stand to hear His judgment
Of my mortality.
Can I imagine He will say:
“Come unto me, be blessed –
For – all your days upon the earth
Are works of righteousness?”
Or do I think that I can lie –
And He will save me when
My daily acts of wickedness
Are obvious as sin?

(January - February 2010)

2 comments:

Dallin said...

I like this. It's a little different form than the usual, but it reminds me of Brother John Tanner's version of Nephi's psalm. Nicely done.

Cynthia Hallen said...

Thank you, Dallin. I have been working on the Young Womens' Virtue value. We have to read and answer the questions in Alma 5. I am going to fix a typo and change a pronoun or two.