Saturday, October 18, 2008

PATIENCE (Dickinson J712/Fr479)


Because I could not wait for Words –
They daily wait on me –
Their Message comes in Figured rimes –
And sometimes Poetry.

They softly speak – They have no price –
And I can yield for free
My stresses and my pressured times
To Their Tranquility –

We bless the Stage where Mortals play
At Business – in the Plan –
We bless the Woods of Tender Trees –
We bless the Meekest Man

Because – He first blessed Us – with tongues –
My thoughts are shivering –
The holy Gospel tunes, the Gifts
My Hands delivering –

We pray within a Home that seeks
A Silence for the Sound –
The Answer – nearly audible –
The Spirit – is Profound

So that – it’s Paradise – but still
Seems humbler than the Dust –
And I’m surprised that Wisdom’s Words
Would lend me lyric Trust –

(18 October 2008, Pleasant Grove, Utah)

3 comments:

Doug P. Baker said...

This is excellent! You've really captured ED's tone.

Cynthia Hallen said...

Thank you, Doug. I was worried that the stream of poems might just be a passing phase, but they seem to be coming steadily. Yesterday as I worked in the garden, poems kept coming, so I had to go into the house to write them down!

Outsideofacat said...

because i could not stop for death... (that's the first thing that came to mind when i started reading this.)

again, nicely written. :-)