Monday, June 15, 2009

LONGING PSALM

LONGING PSALM (for CSW)

I wish I could have been the one
In lone Gethsemane
Who held the Savior when He wept
For them – for you – for me.

I wish I could have cooled His brow
And wiped the sweat away –
I wish I could have stayed awake
As long as He could pray.

I wish I could have heard the plea
Of mediation’s case –
I wish I could have eased the hurt
That marred His patient face.

I wish I could have helped Him pay
The price of sin that night –
I wish I could have run to Him
When others fled in fright.

I wish I could have followed Him
And stopped the brutal men
Who desecrated holiness –
Who made Him bleed again.

I wish I could have shouted “No”
When Pilate asked the crowd
If they would crucify their King –
But that was not allowed.

He willingly accepted doom
To finish Judgment’s claim –
I wish I could have bourne His griefs –
Instead – I’ll bear His name.

(20 April 2009, Provo, Utah)

No comments: