Tuesday, June 3, 2008

FAMILY NAME “We – Temples build – I said” (Dickinson Fr475)



Gertrude Frieda Caroline Koehn: Grandma,

You painted a moon whose light was almost

Lost in oily rivers and brush-stroke trees.

You revived dim roses and irises

From a background that would not let them breathe.

They hung on the gas-stained walls of the rooms

Where you let me read nursery rimes and Norse

Mythology, or had me thread legends

From your box of sequins and chipped pearl beads.


After your death and the quiet funeral

Of my dad, your only child, I gathered

The gold-edged pieces of the china he

Gave you, left in the dark pride of Grandpa's

Home like untouched treasures in a dry tomb,

Like dishes we shall eat manna from

When we are no longer alone. Today

You came to heal me. Your name is written

New in my heart on a hidden white stone.


(Provo, Utah, 14 May 1979)

No comments: