Friday, August 8, 2008

GOOD MORNING MUSE


Who calls my name before I wake?
Is it the Comforter
Who fans the embers in my brain
And sends me lines of verse?

What happens to the poetry
I don’t have time to write?
Is there an orphanage of truth
For unclaimed wisps of light?

Who whispers words to me again
When memory is tired?
Who is the gentle confidant
That second chance required?

Now I wake me up to music
Before I meet the day.
If I must hurry off to work,
Allow this page to pray.

(8 August 2008, Pleasant Grove, Utah)

3 comments:

Outsideofacat said...

my favorite bit, that grabbed me rightaway, is the orphanage of truth.

thanks for the comments and i'm glad to hear about your dickinsonesque writing-corner and desk. it made me smile to read that. i think it's a great idea.

in the last stanza it says, "thy will be mine" - that confused me a little. i'm not that firm in that register but wouldn't it be either "thou" (you will be mine) or "thine" (your blessings will be mine)? just wondering.

good to have you back :-)

Cynthia Hallen said...

The original is "Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done." I parodized it a bit "Thy will be mine" or paraphrased "May Thy will be my will" or "May I desire to do that which Thou wouldst have me do."

Outsideofacat said...

oh i see... :-) thanks for clarifying.