Tuesday, February 3, 2009

BIRD WORDS


The words are pouring out again –
I’m not sure how they come –
Awake, asleep, at dawn, at dusk –
They aren’t as shy as some.
They gently squeeze between the steps –
They dodge – they dart – they dare –
They have a keen intelligence –
They know when to beware.

They come and go in their due time –
And I just have to write –
Sometimes they stay with me all day –
But sometimes they take flight.
With sequin eyes – by window panes –
They sense me through the glass –
I try hard not to startle them –
They hide – they seek – they pass.

They do not ask for cleverness –
They do not covet power –
They flutter in and out at will
At any given hour.
They swoop – they rise – advance – retreat –
They give – they gain – they brood –
Their furtive gleaning lasts all day –
They thank me for the food.

I offer ordinary seed –
And sometimes I forget –
But they return – forgiving me –
They overlook the debt
As if they owed me providence!
Their generous reprieve
Is feeding me with confidence
To share and to receive.

(2 February 2009, Pleasant Grove, Utah)

No comments: